Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers who work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling, and fun.
Amazon Robotics empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfillment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas.
Amazon Robotics internship/co-op/full-time opportunities will be based out of the Greater Boston Area in our two state-of-the-art facilities in Westborough, MA and North Reading, MA. Both campuses provide a unique opportunity to have direct access to robotics testing labs and manufacturing facilities.
Key job responsibilities
The Amazon Robotics System Architecture group is seeking a self-motivated engineering co-op student to work with us on the design and test of our next-generation automated systems. You will join a team designing and validating innovative systems that integrate advanced robotics technologies to support Amazon business needs and enhance overall customer satisfaction.
The System Architecture Co-op at Amazon Robotics could focus on one of the following two areas:
- Modeling and Simulation
- System Engineering, Integration, and Testing
As a System Architecture Co-op (Modeling and Simulation), you will:
- use system modeling and decision-support tools
- characterize design problems and develop models
- help identify relevant modeling and analysis techniques
- develop or integrate multi-domain quantitative models
- analyze and present results that support system-level analysis, performance trade-offs, and decision-making
- work with internal stakeholders to understand needs
As a System Architecture Co-op (System Engineering, Integration, and Testing), you will:
- use system engineering tools
- collaborate with development and test teams in support of iterative development and technical gap analysis
- develop and maintain requirements, test cases, and traceability between them
- help develop traceability from requirements to test cases
- help develop and execute system test campaigns that span lab and field testing environment
- assist in development, communication, and execution of system integration and test strategies in support of program learning, technical risk reduction, verification, and validation
About the team
The Systems Architecture group at Amazon Robotics works across disciplines to balance technical priorities and business drivers, simplify and ensure correctness of system design, and ensure efficient integration of subsystems across disparate domains. Our team focuses on concept and new product programs for complex systems that have concurrent development and tightly-coupled integration across disciplines, important safety requirements, or long hardware lead times or architectural constraints that inhibit rapid design iterations. The team adapts traditional systems engineering tools and best practices for the speed of development and test at Amazon, so that we can iteratively learn, improve performance, and deliver safe, reliable products to our customer.
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s or PhD in Systems Engineering, Robotics Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Operations Research, or relevant technical field of study
- Must graduate after December 2023
- Must be eligible and available for a full-time (40 hours per week) 6-month internship between July to December 2023
- Must be authorized to work in the US during the duration of the internship for full-time work (40 hours per week)
- Experience or education in systems engineering, system integration, system validation, the product development lifecycle, or modeling and simulation
A successful System Architecture Co-op may have one or more of the following:
- Experience formulating and developing decision-support applications, models, or simulations using Excel, MATLAB, Python, or other languages and tools
- Test or experimental design experience
- A working knowledge of advanced methods for conceptual design
- Analysis using common operations management concepts (Little’s Law, Queuing Models, Process Flow Analysis)
- Experience with requirements and test case management software tools (e.g. JAMA, DOORS, etc).
- Experience or interest in requirements exploration, prioritization and analysis methods such as quality function deployment (QFD), analytical hierarchy process (AHP), morphological analysis, or design structure methods (DSM)
- Working knowledge of data or statistical analysis using Excel, MATLAB, R, SAS, Python, or similar
- Risk and uncertainty analysis or using probabilistic design methods such as design of experiments (DOE), Monte Carlo simulation or real options analysis
- Experience building interactive data visualization applications for exploring multivariate data sets
- Detailed oriented and capable of organizing complex activities and data sets
- Excellent oral and written capability in communicating complex topics
- Demonstrated ability to work well in cross-functional project teams
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.