At Amazon we believe that every day is still day one. We are working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. If you’d like to help the Disability Leave Services (DLS) team build a best-in-class professional services program to deliver leave of absence, disability and accommodation services to Amazon employees, applicants, job seekers and candidates globally, this is your chance to make history by joining our team. DLS Provides services 7 days a week, 24 hours a day to assist employees as they go through qualifying life events.
The ASL Interpreter Business Partner is a key member of our accommodation team, providing ASL interpreting services to Amazon applicants, candidates and employees who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. The Interpreter is a subject matter expert (SME) in ASL interpretation services and will provide consultation and collaborate across teams to solve complex problems in ASL language accommodations.
Successful interpreters are highly skilled, able to respond to changing circumstances and needs of a dynamic culture, and paves the way for a connected and trusted accommodation experience. Interpretation in this role may also involve periods of standing, and walking in a fast-paced environment with possible varied noise levels.
An Interpreter can be assigned to work primarily with a single employee for all or part of their work days, permanently or temporarily and/or the interpreter could be assigned to rotate through a large group of Deaf Employees at one or more locations.
The interpreter assignments may include (but are not limited to):
In-person and over video services for:
• Group meetings
• Meetings with individual employees
• Meetings with high confidentiality
• Meetings with sensitive information
• Highly technical content
• Recorded presentations
Key job responsibilities
• Demonstrate high quality interpretation skills between English and American Sign Language.
• Communicate well in both verbal and written English.
• Provide interpreting services for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and hearing stakeholders in a variety of settings and roles.
• Comfortable interpreting in video environment.
• Arrive to shifts and assignments on time and prepared for work. Flexible in work hours to support meetings outside of traditional business hours, including overnight and weekend requests.
• Provide effective communication in on-site services environment.
• Provide stellar customer service to both internal and external customers.
• Collaborate in a professional manner with multiple stakeholders.
• Work effectively with minimal supervision.
• Maintain a working knowledge and increased understanding of the subject matter to enable effective interpretation for all required disciplines.
• Ensure compliance with standard work, code of professional conduct, federal/state regulations, and company policy.
• Maintain system records to ensure accurate and timely documentation of interpreting assignments.
• Consult, coordinate and partner with our third-party external vendors and internal HR, Safety, Legal, Payroll, Benefits, team members and other departments/systems as appropriate.
Perform outreach and training for ASL language access across geographic areas.
• Work collaboratively and professionally with other interpreters during assignments.
Travels to various domestic locations to support meetings.
• Travel will include regional travel and possible US and international travel, dependent on business needs
• Flexibility in scheduling that will include evening and/or weekend work hours.
• Comfortable with ambiguity.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 2 + years of related professional interpreting experience, including VRI services, with strong demonstrated experience interpreting in the all areas of business and/or warehouse environment or Successful completion and mentor recommendation from Amazon Interpreter Practicum program
• Fluency in both American Sign Language and English with superior sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign language skills and an elastic linguistic range to match customer needs.
• Expert knowledge in US interpreting industry standards of practice, RID Code of Professional Conduct, and Deaf culture.
• RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf) Certification, or BEI-Advanced Level Certification. In lieu of certification, 10+ years of professional experience with a set path to certification will be considered.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with confidential information, including sensitive human resources situations.
• Strong problem solving, time management and priority-setting skills.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in RID alternative pathway.
• Competency working within a diverse and inclusive environment; including awareness of personal bias and align with company-wide Global Diversity Equity and Inclusion (GDEI) goals.
• Bachelor's Degree from accredited University, or RID Alternative Pathway equivalent.
• BEI-Master Level Certification.
• Trilingual skills (English, ASL and one or more foreign spoken language)
• 5+ years professional interpreting experience in a wide variety of environments, including technology-relevant or warehouse settings.
• Experience using tactile ASL and close visual interpretation for individual who are DeafBlind.
• Oral interpretation for deaf or hard of hearing individuals who rely on lip-reading.
• Intermediate skills with MS Office tools such as Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Exceptional customer service and communication skills, both verbal and in writing.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.