The AWS User Experience Products & Platform (UXP2) team is responsible for products that enable AWS users to manage their applications and infrastructure on AWS. Our mission is to deliver an effective, and loved user experience that makes it easy for all users to discover, learn, and build on AWS. Today, we own the AWS Management Console, the AWS Console Mobile App, the AWS Chatbot, and the User Experience Platform used by 200+ AWS service teams to develop and deliver their user experience across multiple channels (web, mobile, chat).
The AWS UXP2 team is a multi-disciplinary team comprising members from different areas – UX Research, UX Design, User Insights & Analytics, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Secure/Available/Scalable (at AWS scale) services, and Web/Mobile/Conversational User Interfaces. Our team is a great place for those who are passionate about building great user and developer experiences for millions of users across the globe. Our team members love solving challenging problems to innovate on behalf of AWS users who come from diverse backgrounds spanning different personas, differing levels of experience, different countries, and different expectations on how they would like to interact with AWS.
The AWS Accessibility team is looking for a highly passionate and capable Senior Front End Engineer. As the primary stewards for an accessible AWS experience, it is our team's job to ensure that our customers can access what they need, to complete their goals quickly and efficiently. Our goal is to continuously improve the AWS experience by removing barriers and enabling everyone to build with AWS. AWS Accessibility has the unique opportunity to influence the approach to accessibility across entire AWS globally. We insist on the highest standards and implement best practices, build tooling, and set the bar for an accessible customer experience that is adopted by 200+ AWS service teams. As a Senior Front End Engineer in the team, you will have end-to-end responsibility for designing and implementing a modern, dynamic accessibility platform that empowers all AWS consoles to create and share accessible experiences and content. If you are passionate about taking full advantage of modern web browsers, open-source technologies, and AWS services to help drive the future of accessibility for the AWS customer experience, we'd love to hear from you!
Key job responsibilities
As a Senior Front End Engineer at AWS Accessibility, you will:
- Develop existing and future accessibility initiatives across AWS, providing technical accessibility expertise and developing innovative services for our customers
- Serve as a subject matter expert and champion our principles of accessibility and inclusion
- Create delightful, world-class, accessible user interfaces while considering experimental research, business requirements, customer feedback, and usability study findings
- Write tooling to help you and other engineers move faster
- Challenge and mentor other engineers
- Code with confidence, supported by continuous builds, tests, a constructive code-review process, and a supportive culture of identifying and fixing bugs
A day in the life
Our opportunity space provides a unique blend of challenges: we build processes and tools to educate developers and content creators to optimize user experiences, we build technology to streamline and automate testing for accessibility, and we champion working on behalf of our customers to improve accessibility and inclusion across the AWS experience.
About the team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy-efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth, including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport. By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
- In-depth understanding of accessibility standards and best practices, including the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Experience with assistive technology (e.g., screen readers, screen magnifiers, voice recognition) in conducting accessibility testing
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices in the software development lifecycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Track record of delivering accessible, stable, performant, secure and scalable front-end software
- Experience instrumenting applications with real user metrics to reflect the customer experience
- Self-motivated, able to solve problems independently, and able to work well in teams
- Strong communication skills, and experience mentoring other engineers
- IAAP WAAS certification
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.