AWS is looking for a software development manager to own a green-field network software project. We are launching an effort this year to completely re-imagine how the AWS network is managed. A key part of this project is building a suite of control plane services from the ground-up, which the network fabric teams will use to scale and manage the networks that they are ultimately responsible for. This role will own product definition, development, testing, and ultimately operation of these services, which are going to be critical to the growth of the AWS network, and Amazon as a whole.
As this is a green-field project that is just getting started, many decisions are yet to be made, about not only the software components this role will own, but also around the overall customer experience. By joining this effort early in the definition phase, you have an opportunity to shape how one of the largest networks on the planet is going to be operated for at least the next decade. A successful candidate is one who relishes the chance to bring clarity to a situation where even the problem statement is not clear, and align many stakeholders towards a common vision. They have a demonstrated track record of collaborating with many stakeholders with diverse points of view, and can drive alignment and make progress in the face of adversity and demanding circumstances. Deep expertise managing a complex and fast-moving software team is a must. Networking expertise is not a requirement, but would certainly be helpful.
· 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
· Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
· 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related engineering discipline preferred.
· Advanced degree a plus
· 10+ years of management experience.
· 10+ years of hands on engineering experience, either software, systems or network. Must have personally delivered big technology solutions, not just supervised.
· Technical expertise in software development, networking/infrastructure and distributed systems is required.
· Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire in a hands-on fashion.
· Ability to develop and sell a network vision, strategy and plan to diverse audiences including executive leadership and customers.
· Must have built and led a high performing team that delivered extraordinary services.
· Must be capable of taking on a business ownership role, and be able to ramp up quickly and operate independently.
· Preferred to have one or more significant technical inventions (not necessarily patents).
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
· Exhibits excellent judgment
· Hires great people. Develops great people
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
· Thinks big and has convictions
· Results oriented
· Has the innate ability to inspire passion in others
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.