Alexa , the speech processing and personal assistant technology behind Amazon Echo, is seeking a Technical Program Manager for our Alexa Secure Foundations (SAIF) Data organization, based out of Amazon’s state-of-the-art Kendall Square/Cambridge, Massachusetts Development Center.
The Alexa SAIF Data org is responsible for ingesting, engineering, transforming and curating all of the data used by Alexa's applied scientists and engineers to build and improve customer experience. We host one of Amazon's largest data lakes, and are constantly challenged by the scale at which we must ingest and store data. We are just starting to build the next generation of our data lake to improve data throughput and reduce latency of data delivery to allow for advances in model development by the Alexa community. We are looking for leaders who are excited about building scalable platforms that can directly improve the delivery of all of the work done by Alexa's engineering and science organizations.
In the Alexa SAIF Data organization, you will work in a highly collaborative and supportive environment across all stages of an agile development lifecycle, including architecture design, development, documentation, testing, and operations. You will build services using AWS at huge scale found nowhere else. Your efforts will support the successful and well-loved Alexa powered products. Our combination of challenging technical problems, critical services, and a quickly growing organization will provide you with unique opportunities for career growth.
What you'll be doing:
· Define, drive, and deliver critical, large scale, high quality, and operable data enabling services that satisfy and delight the Alexa community and have a substantive impact on the Alexa business.
· Independently manage and deliver programs and projects where strategy or technical solutions may not yet be defined.
· Influence roadmap priorities, features, and engineering process working across multiple Alexa teams.
· Define program requirements and help engineering teams meet goals, accelerating progress by driving timely decisions, clearing blockers, and making trade offs.
· Drive detailed business and technical discussions and alignment through meetings and clear, concise written communication.
· Communicate status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to senior leaders throughout Alexa.
· Understand design approaches to identify and mitigate risks, asking the right technical questions to ensure the right trade-offs are made.
· Improve engineering processes within and across teams to improve the team’s efficiency and delivery.
· Build relationships with your customers, partner teams, and the engineers on your team.
Your background and who you are:
· You have experience reliably delivering high-quality, distributed, testable, and scalable . You are driven by delivering value to your customer.
· You love to work with teams that are always raising the bar. You believe that a team is strongest when it is diverse and includes multiple perspectives.
· You enjoy the challenges of highly technical problems that you define and solve in real time.
· You believe that there are multiple ways to solve a problem, each with different trade-offs. You don't typically think in terms of the "right" or "wrong" way to do something, but rather the most effective path given the current constraints.
· You are excited by the technical challenges of large scale service development from architectural design, to implementation, to operations.
· You put yourself into your customer’s shoes and immerse yourself in the customer experience to understand how to serve them better.
· You've made mistakes in the past, have learned a lot from them, and apply these learnings regularly.
· You want to have an impact on a hugely successful and growing product that improves people’s lives.
· 7+ years experience in engineering
· 7+ years experience managing complex technology products
· Understanding of scalable computing systems, architecture, data structures, and algorithms
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to work well with a diverse team
· Experience developing cloud and distributed services and an understanding of design for security, availability, and performance.
· Experience working across multiple technical teams.
· Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences.
· Technically fearless, with a willingness and desire to tackle intrinsically hard problems, venturing beyond comfortable approaches when necessary. Ability to acquire expertise as needed, pioneer new spaces, and inspire others as to what’s possible.
· Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills.
· Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
· Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices.
· Proven results and a history of project delivery.